Readercon Redux

Back from Readercon in Massachusetts. My first time there, and I’m going back, definitely. Met a great bunch of readers, made lists of books I-must-read-immediately, or at least before I die, gave presentations, did panels, saw some good friends, made some new ones, signed books there and at local bookstores, and of course, bought too many books. In the thick of all the programming, managed to carve out some time to chat with Maureen McHugh, and fellow-Pyr author David Edelman, also Elizabeth Hand, Scott Edelman, Sharyn November and briefly, the Pacific Northwest contingent of Ted Chiang, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, not to mention Louise Marley who traveled with me and sings loudly in the shower early in the morning. Met John Clute and Tom Easton, critics and thought-provoking panelists, and George Mann and Christian Dunn of SolarisĀ  (UK sf/f publisher) and Jeffrey Ford, John Crowley, and James Morrow.

I liked this con a lot. They were kind enough to list Bright of the Sky as one of the four books to read before the con, and seems lots did. Beyond that, it had no gaming, no anime, no media at all, and the vendor’s room was instead called The Bookstore. The atmosphere was very welcoming; also a bit proselytizing for the con itself–for example, anytime someone said it was the first time they’d come to Readercon, the whole audience would erupt into gleeful applause. The con is a tad self-consciously intellectual–oddly, when a roomful of people were mentioning favorite sf/f books, no one mentioned Dune or George RR Martin. (But I’ll bet they wanted to.) My favorite? Left Hand of Darkness… and, to be arty, M. John Harrison’s first book of Virconium. So there.

It was wonderful to hear you read and great to meet you!

Mary

2. lmarley says:

Liar, liar! I sing very softly in the shower in the early morning. I sing loudly when I vacuum.

3. mabfan says:

I enjoyed your storyboarding presentation; thanks!

4. tbclone47 says:

I’ve always wanted to go to this one. Got to put on my list.

5. captphil says:

Readercon

Glad you enjoyed the convention! I enjoyed the panel I saw you on and I had the usual Readercon discovery as I hadn’t heard of Jeffrey Ford before the weekend and left with a list of books of his to get.

Phil (The big bald guy with the camera)

Thanks, Mary. You know, I love to read out loud. I have no idea where this comes from; I even like to read other people’s work out loud, so I definitely had fun reading my new book to a roomfull of people.Thanks for writing. I felt quite welcome at Readercon, and that is just not always the case at cons where the pace is so frantic and no one has time to talk.

Now THAT would be a shame!

Re: Readercon

Yes, wasn’t Jeff Ford a blast? That was sort of a difficult panel, wasn’t it. The con committee sort of begged me to moderate because no one else wanted to. Um, I think I now know why, though don’t want to start any on-line gossip, so it’ll be just between you and me.

Oh,geez, I’d have been way nervous if I’d known you were in the audience. I’m sorry I didn’t get to meet you; I’ve read some of your great short stories. Thanks for the positive comment.

10. mabfan says:

Thank you for your kind words on my stories. I’m glad I didn’t tell you I was there, or I would have made you nervous!

I don’t know if you saw, but someone posted notes from your talk: