The Big Hard Drive Crash

I know, it’s happened to all of us, and the story is always the same: Working away diligently on trusty (they ARE trusty?) computer and then, out of the blue, the ap crashes, the screen does something wonky and the heart skips a beat. Perhaps a restart? Oh, it won’t reboot? So, hearing the restrained despair in my voice over the phone, my Mac Guy made a house call, brought my laptop into his laboratory and gave it an MRI or whatever he does. Diagnosis: the hard drive crashed, unrecoverable.

Thus began a couple days in hell, particularly since it was two days before Thanksgiving, I live in a small town and the stores don’t carry Mac products. I don’t know about you, but my computer problems always happen during the holidays.

I mean, I am in a bad mood, so don’t get light-hearted with me!

Did I back-up my files you ask? Yes, but it didn’t save me because it wasn’t elaborate back up. Examples: I lost about six hours of work on the novel,  my entire address book, all my bookmarks and my custom dictionary on a four-book series. Who knew that when you back up your email (which I did a couple weeks ago,) it does Not back these other things.) All this trouble, despite the fact that I back up my work twice a day onto two flash drives, having finally sworn off finicky CDs. Oh, I thought I was so thorough! Nope. For a writer, this is just not good enough.

On a borrowed external hard drive, I am back on the novel.  So I am at least in business, of sorts. So, penitent, I have solemnly taken stock of my back up practices. I am going to get an external hard drive and continually back up my system and files in their entirety.

I suppose really smart people already do this. Happy Thanksgiving. I give praise to my Mac Guy.

1. kateelliott says:

My sympathies. Ouch.

The new Leopard OS has a backup feature called Time Machine which functions with an external hard drive and backs up new copies of everything once a day onto that external hd. I’m really thinking of upgrading my OS to Leopard if only for that one function.

2. tbclone47 says:

Things like this always remind me I’ve got TO BACK UP MORE OFTEN!! I had my own disaster a few years ago, if you’ll remember.

Ugh. Well glad things were not TOO bad…

Crashes

Yes, Kate, I’ve heard of Time Machine. If you’re using Panther, you could attach a second hard drive with the same effect as Time Machine, at least in its doomsday back up function. BTW, I met your daughter at Orycon! Fun.

Back up more often

Yes, but how about all that email stuff, and all the items that don’t Really get backed up. I tell you, I’m gun shy now. Cheers, Patrick. nice to see you at Orycon.

5. rhodric says:

That really sucks. Will this uh push back deadlines and publication dates? I’m sorry! that must sound selfish, but i’m emotionally invested in your series now!!!

-carl

p.s. home you got everything back on track and hope you had a great thanksgiving!

Well, yes, Carl, that does sound heartless! But never fear, the publication schedule will not change. I’m going to quit eating and sleeping, but I will deliver this book on time. The advantage is, I’ll be able to get into my favorite blue jeans again.

7. kateelliott says:

Re: Crashes

I made a list of names of people she could “safely” introduce herself to – that is, safely in the sense that I figured the people might have some idea of who on earth she was talking about!

Hey – congrats on Bright of the Sky getting on the year’s end list on Publishers Weekly. Or, as we sometimes say here, w00t!

Re: Crashes

Rhymes with boot?

9. kateelliott says:

Re: Crashes

it’s leet speak, or so my children tell me

yes, rhymes with boot

10. rhodric says:

Your dedication is a wonder to behold Kay!! But please please eat, don’t want you keeling over on me. Though there is much to be said for squeezing into a favorite pair of pants again. Any word on the title of book three yet?

Book Three

Yup, Book Three is “City Without End”