OmegaCon ’08

Just got back from OmegaCon in Birmingham, AL. A bunch of attendees told me they were thrilled  to have a con of this size in their backyard. The con staff went out of their way to help authors when things went awry, as was maybe inevitable for the first try. So again, thanks to all the volunteers for hard work.

This and that: Books-A-Million brought, um, a million or so books into the dealers room. I hung out with Louise’s old band (see below–man can that lady sing) and met David Drake, David Webber, Steven Brust–all fun. Mike Resnick collected on the backrub I owed him. Also saw my editor–Pyr’s Lou Anders–in his home stomping grounds. A good time. He was very fun on a panel on horror stories from the publishing world.

Note: It is almost impossible to get to and from Birmingham from where I live. It took well over 12 hours to get from the con to Seattle, and then I still had a snowy mountain pass to go over. Home now, cat on lap while blogging. All is well.

Launched A World Too Near at OmegaCon.

Louise Marley performing with Earthwood.

Mike Resnick at the Pyr dinner.

Kay’s Website

It was wonderful to see you.

So glad you came, Kay. You made the weekend.

It was wonderful to see you.

So glad you came, Kay. You made the weekend. – Lou

3. aszanoni says:

Kay, thank you for your kinds words. I am so glad you had fun!

Wish I’d managed to meet you, lady.

Anne
    Ops/Lit track asst.

So glad to have met

It was everso wonderful to have met with you and being able to discuss worldbuilding/setting was an excellent added bonus. I desperately hope we shall be able to speak again and thank you for making the convention especially enjoyable for me.

MKeaton

Re: So glad to have met

Matt, that was a fun panel; you are a great moderator. By my lights, you can Always have that job! Glad for our chat. Perhaps I’ll see you in Birmingham next year, too!

Re: Tell the difference?

Oh oh, my son is reading my blog! OK, everybody, clean it up, OK?
    And yes, fun to see you in California!

Re: Alabama Cons

Geez. That mistake must have been born of jet lag after the 14 hour trip home from Birmingham. Hearty apologies to the cons of Alabama!
    Taking it down now. Thanks.

8. rosehawke says:

Re: Alabama Cons

Not to worry. They do seem to keep a rather lowish profile and to the best of my knowledge it has been at least 10 years (DSC 36 in 1998) since there was a good sized general interest SF con in Birmingham. But DSC’s numbers tend to be in the 5-600 range so it’s very likely that only hardcore fans would have known of it.

9. a message long after the fact!

It was wonderful meeting you and chatting briefly. Your dialogue workshop was insightful and of course fun to listen to!

I’m so glad I misunderstood my friend when she said she read Sherrilyn Kenyon! 😉

Hope to see you next year!

Re: a message long after the fact!

Well,thanks. I enjoyed giving that workshop, and the group was terrific. I still remember the fellow who brought his daughter . . . she was maybe 12 years old . . . and when I raved about Holly Black’s “Ironside”, she lit up like a Christmas tree. We had some great interactions in that session. I think I Will come back to Omegacon, if they invite me.