Kay in the Twin Cities

Hey, wanna come to Minneapolis at end of July? Because that’s Diversicon, the biggest little con in the midwest celebrating diversity in culture, race, gender, and the imagination. July 31 – Aug 2. The con is small and prides itself on acceptance, broad-mindedness, cool discussions and friendliness. There are also, like, parties.

I’m going because Minnesota is my home state, and I’m the Guest of Honor. Besides con activities, I’ll also be doing the following:

• A reading & autographing at DreamHaven Books Thursday, July 30,
    6:30-7:30 p.m.
  • An autographing at the venerable Uncle Hugo’s bookstore Friday, July 31,
    noon-1:00 p.m.

There’s also a nifty 250-word flash fiction contest that you get to enter if you go to the con, and I’ll be judging it, so I’ll have to put on my egg-head look, like the picture above.

So, if you’re anywhere in the vicinity, I might see you there!

1. mmerriam says:

I look forward to meeting you!

2. princejvstin says:

Ooh. A chance to meet you at last. Welcome back to your home state!

Thanks! I’ll be on my best behavior. Unless it’s more fun if I’m not.

Oh, so you’re Minnesota. EXcellent.

Diversicon

Hello All,

As one of the founding members of Diversicon, I thought I’d second Kay’s invitation. and give you a taste of what you can expect to find at our little con. Diversicon was started by a group of people who were disenchanted with the quality, and variety, of panel discussions at what was at that time the largest SF convention in Minnesota, Minicon. Ok, let’s face it, we’re a bunch of programming junkies. Those people included myself, Eric Heideman, Sybil Smith, Art and Lucia Johnson, Amanda Elg, Joe Agee, and Jen Wolter. We’ve lost a couple over the years, but most of us still attend and will be at this year’s Diversicon.

What hasn’t changed over the years is our dedication to quality panel discussions. Diversicon really is a convention full of people who enjoy talking about the latest SF or fantasy books, movies, TV shows and the ideas that they find there. It’s not unusual at Diversicon to see, at the end of one panel, the next panel’s participants get up out of the audience and take the stage, while the previous panel members sit down in the audience to listen to the next discussion, something I don’t think I’ve ever seen at any other con I’ve attended.

Diversicon is also known for its Guests of Honor. We’re proud to have been among the first cons to have writers like Paul Park, Maureen F. McHugh and Minister Faust as Guests of Honor, and this year we’re especially happy to be able to add Kay Kenyon’s name to that list. Diversicon has remained a small convention over the years, I think the largest attendance we’ve ever had was about 200 people, but that means that anyone attending who wishes to can have the opportunity to meet and interact with the Guests of Honor, and not just see them from afar.

What it boils down to is that Diversicon is a convention for people who are really into science fiction and fantasy, and think there’s nothing better than spending a weekend hanging out and talking about it with other people who feel the same way.

So welcome back to Minnesota, Kay, and welcome to all of you who are planning to attend Diversicon. I know you’ll have a great time.

One last thing. Kay: How soon can I get copy of Prince of Storms?

Greg L Johnson

Re: Diversicon

See you all in Minneapolis then, right? And I’ll be keeping a leetle notebook of who actually showed up. Hey, bestir yourselves, people, we’ve got sf/f to celebrate!

And Greg, um, for you, an advance copy of POS by Thanksgiving. ๐Ÿ˜‰

* I was recently chagrined to note that the title of the last book in the quartet inadvertently also stands for my usual dismissal of books I don’t like: Piece of Shit. But it won’t be, it won’t!

7. princejvstin says:

Alas, today, I have been told that I cannot have the time off from work, and so, sadly, I will be unable to meet you.

Maybe next time.

Dreamhaven

Well, I’ll also be at Dreamhaven books on Thursday evening (also at Uncle Hugo’s at noon on Friday.) Drop by if you’re anywhere near.