A Dangerous Game of Spycraft . . .

. . . amid the bloom of psychic abilities.

My new series, beginning with At the Table of Wolves.

Coming from Saga Press next summer!

THE MILIEU:

England. Spring, 1936. Magic has come into the world in the form of psi-abilities. These powers have broken through in a slow, subconscious tide since 1914, brought to the surface by the suffering of the Great War. The advent of this phenomenon is called the bloom. Talents occur in perhaps one in a thousand people. The full range of paranormal abilities is not yet known, but they include hypercognition, remote view, mesmerizing, hyperempathy, darkening and the spill, with strength classified from 1 to 10. Talents come into people at various stages of their lives, especially at adolescence. People still mistrust the bloom, with its paranormal gifts, both coveted and despised. Kim Tavistock is a 6 for the spill.

The Third Reich has been working for years to weaponize these powers. Now they have succeeded in a manner no one could have guessed.

THE STORY:

Kim Tavistock, 33 years old, has the spill, a Talent that–sometimes–compels people to confide in her. They tell their secrets. It will come in handy for espionage.

Kim is passionate about England, where she was born (she was raised in the US by her American mother), and is devoted to the memory of her older brother, Robert, killed at Ypres. Because of this, she despises Nazi apologists. Her father, Julian Tavistock, has become one of these, consorting with his fascist-leaning friends, including the poisonous London hostess, Georgi Aberdare.

While the Third Reich has been working for years to weaponize Talents, England has been slow to grasp their potential threat–and promise. However, clandestine research is now under way at the ultra-secret Monkton Hall, a country estate housing researchers and testing facilities. Among the test subjects is Kim Tavistock. When she wins the confidence of case worker Owen Cherwell, he recruits her into an effort to expose the head of Monkton Hall as a German spy.

Kim’s uses her career as a stringer for magazines to go on assignment for Owen Cherwell. Her first clandestine mission is to get a spill from Georgi Aberdare at the great country manor of Summerhill. There she will meet a charming and merciless undercover German agent, Erich von Ritter, and receive from him a spill that will lead her into the heart of a ruthless Nazi plot against Britain.

From von Ritter she discovers that the plot is led by one of England’s own. Is it in fact her own father? Has he gone over to the wolves?

In WWII there were several plans to use ice as a weapon in the English Channel. What Whitehall doesn’t know is that the world will soon feel the brunt of a devastating and unguessed-at weaponized Talent. One that can force a breech of England’s finest defense: its island isolation.

Kim must penetrate von Ritter’s operation, but there is only one way in. To join him.

1. bn100 says:

interesting sounding series

2. Zhaba says:

Are all the British characters going to have surnames pulled from the AA roadmap of the UK?

If I ever write anything set in the USA I must remember to do this – Steven Pittsburgh, Katie Potomac, Evelyn Chattanooga.

Sooo much more authentic

3. Tom Overcast says:

Being a WWII history and espionage fan, this is going to be right up my alley. I’m looking forward to it hitting the shelves — how soon and it be pre-ordered?

4. THOMAS MORROW says:

Hi Kay. Can’t wait for your new series – it sounds wonderful! I have read all your books and still consider “The Entire and the Rose” series the best job of world building I have ever read. And I never really appreciated the fantasy genre until I started reading yours – absolutely loved “Queen of the Deep”. I can’t wait to get into Kim Tavistock’s head. Keep ’em coming!

Zhaba: Nope. All the names I’m using come from people I know of or have heard of. I’m way too much of an anglophile to settle for your road map idea. Although I’m thinking of naming a character in an upcoming story Ana Madrid! (Yeah, I know there’s a town called Tavistock.)

Coming out next winter!

Thomas: Thank you so much for the kind remarks. I’m humbled to think I made a convert for fantasy, and welcome to the weird side of spec fic!

8. Paul Weimer says:

Congratulations on your series sale, Kate.

How else, if at all, has your alternate world’s history changed since 1914 with the infusion of magic?

9. Paul Weimer says:

Congratulations on your series sale, Kay

10. Zhaba says:

a river (plus nuclear research lab) called Cherwell and some mountains called the Aberdares – so I was just wondering if there was going to be a Chas Avon and a Dave M25?

Oh yeah, I went to school at a Monkton Hall and as I now live in Eastern Europe the name Georgi is most definitely male Ge-oR(rrrol that R)-ge, but that’s just me and enough name stuff.

BTW the Entire and the Rose is wonderful and I’m slowly working through your sci fi back catalogue again as it gets kindelized…

I would say the story is not so much an alternate history, though I think we’ve loosely been using that term here and there. The Bloom of psi-abilities has changed the social fabric is small ways and engendered denial and prejudice. The main change to history is the German weaponization and clandestine exploitation of Talents, which runs far ahead of the West. And thanks, Paul, I’m writing book 3, with the first two books sold.